It is our great pleasure to announce the opening of the CFP for the conference “Women Staging and ReStaging the Nineteenth Century II” to be held at the University of Valencia next 18-20 October 2023.
Connections between contemporary theatrical productions by women who revisit and re-stage the nineteenth century, or the ways in which Victorian stage practices have informed Neo-Victorian fiction and theatre written by women were debated at the 2022 conference. As a follow-up to such discussions and funded by the GVA Research Project (AICO/2021/225), we open the CFP for the “Women Staging and
Restaging the Nineteenth Century II” international conference to be held at the Universitat de València between 18 and 20 October 2023. This is the final conference in a series of academic events organised as part of a three-year funded research project on women and entrepreneurship in the entertainment industry of the nineteenth century and its afterlives.
The conference will be held in person at the Universitat de València with the hope that it will expand our discussion on the relation between women and the nineteenth-century stage with papers and panels that consider (but are not limited to) the following range of topics and areas of research:
- Nineteenth-century women staging the nineteenth century worldwide.
- Nineteenth-century women staging the nineteenth century from a transnational and transatlantic perspective.
- Nineteenth-century women staging the nineteenth century in the colonies.
- Classical receptions and women actresses, playwrights and managers in the nineteenth century and its afterlives.
- Neo-Victorian re-stagings of the nineteenth century by women.
- Contemporary women playwrights and artistic directors looking at the nineteenth century.
- Nineteenth-century actresses, women playwrights and managers at present.
- Fictional recreations of (neo-) Victorian actresses, playwrights, managers, and producers in novels, in film and on the stage.
- Rewritings of nineteenth-century spectacle in (neo-) Victorian and contemporary fiction by women writers.
- Rewritings of nineteenth-century spectacle in (neo-) Victorian and contemporary theatre by women playwrights.
We invite interested speakers to submit proposals of 250 words with a short biography (100 words) through the online form at the conference website by 5 May 2023. Speakers are expected to present papers of 20 minutes with Q&A at the end.
See full CFP and Conference information at:
Confirmed keynote speakers:
Jim Davis (University of Warwick)
Viv Gardner (University of Manchester)
Fiona Macintosh (University of Oxford)
Kate Newey (University of Exeter)
Benjamin Poore (University of York)
Mireia Aragay (Universitat de Barcelona)
Stefano Evangelista (University of Oxford)
Isobel Hurst (Goldsmith, University of London)
Begoña Lasa Álvarez (Universidade da Coruña)
Janice Norwood (University of Hertfordshire)
Beth Palmer (University of Surrey)
Lin Pettersson (Universidad de Málaga)
Eugenia Perojo Arronte (Universidad de Valladolid)
Antonija Primorac (University of Rijeka)
Main Organizers: Laura Monrós-Gaspar (UV), Rosario Arias (UMA),
Victoria Puchal Terol (VIU)
We hope that you find this forthcoming event of your interest.
All best regards,
Laura (with Rosario and Vicky) on behalf of the organizing committee